Sending the “Just Following Up” email without any sort of value or call-to-action is not good. When you send an email, you should ask yourself, “How much value did it provide?” Or “Did I have a call-to-action?” “Or did my email just get deleted?”
I hate to admit it, but I still send emails like that every now and then. So why do we still use it when we’re following up with prospects?
Emails like that are annoying and disruptive to the recipient. And in today’s world of constant interruptions, you can’t afford to interrupt a prospect without providing some value or at least including a call-to-action.
Just Following Up Email Stats
The concept of sending multiple “checking-in” emails is quite interesting. In fact, data from Referral Squirrel shows that:
- 2% of sales are made on the First contact.
- 3% of sales are made on the Second contact.
- 5% of sales are made on the Third contact.
- 10% of sales are made on the Fourth contact.
- 80% of sales are made on the Fifth to Twelfth contact.
- 48% of salespeople never follow up with a prospect.
- 25% of salespeople make a second contact and stop.
- 12% of salespeople make three contacts and stop.
- Only 10% of sales people make it more than Three contacts with a prospect.
The trick here is making repeat contact with your prospects in a way that adds value. Nobody – you or your prospect – gets any value from an email that just says “just checking in.” It’s a wasted use of your time, and wasted space in your prospect’s inbox.
But what if you followed up with something of value? Perhaps a trigger event from a custom Google Alert you have set up for your prospect’s company? Or a blog post you found that could help them with their latest goals? (Side benefit to providing value = More referrals when you consistently deliver useful information because people will share it.)
For more follow up ideas, go to How to Write the “Following Through” Email.
To your continued success,
Hendrik de Vries is the creator of the Website Analysis. A website analysis tool that will guide you to generating up to 10x the leads you’re getting now. You will also learn how to fix mistakes on your website that are costing you sales.